Welcome To Our General FAQs
Welcome to our FAQ page, where we provide answers to some of the most frequently asked questions we receive about raising and releasing monarch butterflies. To help you find the information you need, we’ve organized our FAQs into specific categories related to our online store, products, and other services.
For more detailed information about each topic, be sure to visit our blog, where you’ll find a wealth of resources on butterfly care and conservation. And if you can’t find the answer you’re looking for, or have a question we haven’t addressed, please don’t hesitate to get in touch with us at firstname.lastname@example.org. We’re always happy to help!
- Butterflies for Release
- Butterfly Raising Kits
- General FAQs
- Gift Shop & Accessories
- Milkweed Seeds
- Monarch Butterflies for Release
- Monarch Butterfly Kits
- Painted Lady Butterflies for Release
- Painted Lady Butterfly Raising Kits
- Dedicate Butterflies for Release
We currently operate as an online store and do not offer orders for pick up. All orders must be placed through our secure online platform on our website.
Our seamless online ordering process allows you to browse through our diverse range of butterfly-related products, including live butterflies for release, butterfly rearing kits, butterfly frames and more. Once you have selected the items you desire, simply add them to your cart and proceed to checkout.
During checkout, you will provide your shipping address, and we will take care of the rest. We entrust the reliable services of Canada Post to ship your order directly to your designated location, ensuring safe and timely delivery.
We understand that some customers may prefer to pick up their orders in person for various reasons. However, at this time, we are unable to make an exception to our shipping policy, as it enables us to efficiently serve customers across different regions.
We do not offer Monarchs in the egg or caterpillar stage. Our focus is on providing pupae (chrysalis) or fully developed adult butterflies for release, as this ensures the best results and contributes to the well-being of the butterflies providing the highest success rate.
While we understand the appeal of witnessing the early stages of a monarch butterfly’s life, offering monarchs in the egg or caterpillar stage presents unique challenges. The larvae require specific care, habitat, and diet to develop successfully, which can be complex and sensitive to manage. To ensure the highest success rate we only offer monarchs in the pupae state or butterflies for release.
To maintain the highest standard of care and minimize any potential risks to the butterflies, we specialize in providing healthy and vibrant pupae or adult butterflies for your butterfly release event. This approach allows you to enjoy the mesmerizing transformation of the pupae into magnificent butterflies and participate in their release, creating a magical and memorable experience.
Regrettably, we are unable to make exceptions to our policy and offer monarchs in the egg or caterpillar stage. However, we assure you that the butterflies you receive will be in prime condition for a successful and joyful release.
Yes, it is true that milkweed (Asclepias species) is the only host plant for monarch caterpillars. Monarch butterflies lay their eggs exclusively on milkweed plants because the caterpillars that hatch from these eggs rely solely on milkweed leaves as their source of food.
Yes, we are pleased to confirm that our milkweed seeds are organic. We take great care in providing high-quality seeds that are free from synthetic chemicals or harmful additives, ensuring a safe and natural environment for your garden and the wildlife it supports.
By choosing organic milkweed seeds, you can have confidence in knowing that you are contributing to a healthy ecosystem and supporting the well-being of pollinators, including monarch butterflies. Organic farming practices promote biodiversity, conserve natural resources, and prioritize the health of the soil and surrounding environment.
Please find some instructions below with similar instructions included in each order. Planting milkweed seeds is a simple and rewarding way to support monarch butterflies and other pollinators. Here’s a step-by-step guide to help you successfully plant milkweed seeds:
- Prepare the Planting Area: Find a sunny spot in your garden or a location with at least 6 hours of sunlight per day. Milkweed prefers well-drained soil, so ensure the planting area is free from standing water.
- Clear the Ground: Remove any existing weeds, grass, or debris from the planting area to give the milkweed seeds a better chance to germinate and grow.
- Scarify the Seeds (Optional): Some milkweed seeds have hard shells that benefit from scarification, a process of scratching or nicking the seed coat to aid in germination. You can do this by rubbing the seeds gently with sandpaper or using a small knife to create small scratches.
- Plant the Seeds: Sow the milkweed seeds directly into the prepared soil. Space the seeds about 1 inch apart and cover them lightly with a thin layer of soil (about 1/4 inch deep). Alternatively, you can start the seeds indoors in pots and transplant them later.
- Water the Seeds: After planting, water the seeds thoroughly. Keep the soil consistently moist, but not waterlogged, until the seeds germinate and the seedlings become established.
- Provide Care and Maintenance: Once the milkweed seedlings emerge, continue to water them regularly, especially during dry periods. Mulching around the plants can help retain moisture and suppress weeds.
- Thin Seedlings (if necessary): If you have sown the seeds densely, you may need to thin the seedlings once they reach a few inches tall, leaving enough space for each plant to grow.
- Protect the Plants: Young milkweed plants can be vulnerable to herbivores, so consider using protective barriers or natural repellents to keep pests away.
- Enjoy the Growth: Watch as your milkweed plants grow and provide essential food for monarch caterpillars and nectar for adult butterflies. Over time, you’ll also attract other pollinators to your garden.
Remember that milkweed is a crucial plant for monarch butterflies, as it serves as their primary host plant. By providing milkweed in your garden, you are creating a habitat that supports the entire life cycle of these beautiful butterflies. Happy planting!
Yes, our milkweed seeds are cold stratified and ready for planting. Cold stratification is a natural process that helps break seed dormancy and ensures successful germination when the seeds are exposed to favorable conditions.
The cold stratification process mimics the seeds’ natural environment during the winter months when they experience cold temperatures. This treatment prepares the seeds for optimal germination once planted in the warmer spring or early summer months.
With our cold stratified milkweed seeds, you can expect improved germination rates and healthier seedlings, setting the stage for a successful and thriving milkweed patch in your garden.
To plant the seeds, simply follow the planting instructions provided with your order. Ensure that the seeds are sown in a sunny location with well-draining soil, and keep the soil consistently moist until the seedlings become established.
The milkweed seeds we provide are special because we grow them ourselves using organic practices. As dedicated advocates of sustainable gardening and wildlife conservation, we take immense pride in cultivating our very own milkweed plants to ensure the highest quality seeds for our customers.
Here’s how we do it:
- Organic Cultivation: Our milkweed plants are grown using organic farming methods. We refrain from using synthetic chemicals, pesticides, or harmful additives, allowing the plants to thrive naturally and maintain their vital ecological role.
- Nurturing the Habitat: Creating a healthy and welcoming habitat for milkweed is essential to support the entire life cycle of monarch butterflies. We take great care in nurturing the environment, providing a safe haven for these magnificent creatures and other pollinators.
- Sustainable Harvesting: Once our milkweed plants have matured, we meticulously harvest the seeds by hand to preserve their integrity and viability. This sustainable harvesting method ensures that only the finest seeds are selected for our customers.
- Quality Assurance: Before packaging and delivering the seeds, each batch undergoes thorough quality assurance processes. We want to make sure that the seeds we provide are of the highest quality and have the best chances of successful germination.
By choosing our organic milkweed seeds, you are not only supporting monarch butterflies and other pollinators but also participating in sustainable agriculture that promotes a healthier planet.
We are thrilled to announce that we now offer gift cards on our website! If you’re looking for the perfect gift for a friend, family member, or someone special, our gift cards are an ideal choice. They allow your loved ones to explore and select from a wide range of products that suit their preferences and needs.
Purchasing a gift card is quick and convenient. Here’s how you can get one:
- Visit Our Website: Head over to our website at www.monarchbutterflies.ca and then visit our ordering page.
- Gift Cards Section: Look for the “Gift Cards” or “Gift Certificates” section on the products ordering page or on our website.
- Choose the Amount: Select the desired value for the gift card. We offer various denominations to suit different budgets.
- Personalize the Card: Add a thoughtful message to make the gift card even more special. You can express your warm wishes or share a personalized note with the recipient.
- Checkout and Delivery: Once you’ve made your selection and personalized the gift card, proceed to the checkout process. You can choose to have the gift card delivered to your email or directly to the recipient’s email for a surprise!
Our gift cards are a wonderful way to show someone you care while giving them the freedom to choose their favorite items from our collection. Whether they are passionate about gardening, wildlife, or simply enjoy exploring unique products, our gift cards offer an unforgettable experience.
Folding a butterfly net cage, also known as a butterfly habitat or butterfly enclosure, can vary depending on the specific design and model. However, we can provide you with general instructions on how to fold a common type of butterfly net cage that features flexible wire or hoops for support:
- Release Zipper or Velcro: If your butterfly net cage has a zipper or velcro closure, unzip or unfasten it completely to open the cage.
- Locate the Support Hoops/Wires: Most butterfly net cages have flexible wire hoops that provide structure and support to the netting. Identify the hoops and their attachment points on the cage.
- Gently Collapse the Hoops: Start by gently collapsing the hoops inward, one by one, until they form a smaller circle. Be careful not to force or bend the hoops too much, as they may lose their shape or become damaged.
- Bring the Hoops Together: Once all the hoops are collapsed, bring them together to form a smaller, more compact shape.
- Fold the Netting: With the hoops collapsed, carefully fold the netting inward to cover the collapsed hoops. Make sure the netting is neatly folded to prevent any tangling or snagging.
- Secure the Cage: Some butterfly net cages come with straps or clips to keep the cage in its folded position. If your cage has such features, use them to secure the folded cage in place.
- Store or Transport: Once the cage is folded and secured, you can store it in a safe place or easily transport it to your desired location.
Keep in mind that it’s essential to handle the butterfly net cage gently during the folding process to avoid damaging the netting or the support hoops.